IUI in India
Intrauterine insemination is a type of artificial procedure for treatment of infertility. It is a laboratory procedure involving separation of mobile and good quality sperms from sluggish or immobile sperms and implanting them in woman’s uterus. It is performed with the partner’s sperm or donor sperm.
The outcome of IUI is that the sperm will swim into the fallopian tube and fertilize the egg there, resulting in normal pregnancy.
Indications for IUI?
Intrauterine insemination is used often in couples who have:
- Impotency in male partner
- Ejaculation problems
- Inadequate sperm count
- Low sperm mobility
- Women who need donor sperm to get pregnant
- Cervical factor infertility
Tests before IUI
- Intravaginal ultrasound – check the size of the follicles
- Laparoscopy and dye tests – check the obstruction of fallopian tubes and health of pelvis
- If no fertility drugs are used then IUI can be performed between day 12 and 16 of your monthly cycle. On day one of the period, blood tests and urine tests are done to identify when the ovulation will start.
- If fertility drugs are used for stimulation, vaginal ultrasound scans are done to track the development of eggs. As soon as the egg is mature, an H.C.G hormone injection is given to stimulate the release of the egg. The best quality sperm is selected and inserted through a catheter into the uterus.
- A sperm sample will be taken on the day of the treatment.
- The sperm is washed to remove the fluid surrounding them and mobile sperms are separated from immobile ones.
- Rapidly moving sperm is placed in a small catheter and inserted into the uterus.
- If donated or cryo-preserved sperm is used then it is removed from the storage, thawed and prepared in the same way.
Success rate of IUI
It depends on several factors:
- The success rate is 20% higher in the couple who undergo IUI procedure every month before pregnancy.
- It also depends on the age of female
- Reasons for infertility
- Fertility drugs are used or not
IUI is less invasive and less expensive procedure, but the pregnancy rate is lower than that from IVF.
It must be noted that this treatment must only be performed by the best IUI treatment centers in India under the supervision of skilled doctors in state of the art clinics to avoid risks associated with it.